Sunday, October 19, 2008

Into the Brainstorm


In an earlier post I promised this one would: "explore curious ideas, to seek out unusual perspectives, to boldly go where no one has cared much to go before (probably for good reasons)" This may not hold up under the scrutiny of "truth of advertising" but here are some thoughts I've had:

It's obvious that people who are willing to share (information, friend's information, photos, thoughts, writings, bookmarks, music, screencasts, lesson plans, podcasts, recipes, art, their 'virtual' selves, or whatever...) are the life-blood of the "New Media" or Web 2.0 You might have picked up from previous posts that privacy issues are a concern to me as is how all of this information could be used for good or otherwise.

I think we need to hold "social network sites" and other sites based on user contributions and web 2.0 technologies to be just as transparent as they ask 'us' to be, their users - who are really their evangelists too. Hey, we are their content providers AND their best marketing tools -- so we should insist on this. I want to know/see (or at least have the option of seeing) how many times my contribution is accessed and by whom - or at least the location of the access. And...if it was used by an app, I want to know which one, and when. As long as we're into cool little "visual network" applications -- let's create some that show where my content/information has "been".

I think this would have several effects. First of all I think it would greatly surprise many people. I think most 'users' totally underestimate just where their little piece of freely contributed and personal content-in-a-bottle ends up after they toss it into the webic ocean. I know I have been surprised before at what I have learned just from simple web-analytics I installed on my blogs. Secondly, I think it may make a FEW people a little more thoughtful before they push the Send/Upload/OK/Join/IAgree/Publish buttons. The illusion of anonymity would slowly start to fade. In the end I think it would hasten sharing because having that information would be incredibly interesting, and because narcissists and selfless-altruistic-sharers alike would be encouraged by that information. It may (though this is probably just a naive and hopeful wish) deter some people from using the freely shared data in unethical ways.

Now on to the exotic...I suppose the following work might have been included in the "Scholarly Research" tour, but to me it is so "off the beaten path" that I think it goes here in the brain-storm category.

It is a master's thesis by a Clemson fine arts student. It's got to be one-of-a-kind. At least I would be surprised if there were many (if any) other successfully defended recent theses out there that contain only one cited reference, and THAT reference is a website!! Figuring the Digital by Morin, Molly C., M.F.A., Clemson University, 2007, 34 pages; AAT 1447739 The intent of this thesis (as described in the abstract) is:
"a way of understanding, reflecting on, and contributing to a contemporary dialogue about the impact of digital technology and the Internet on society by looking at the organization of information that lies behind the computer screen, and creating work that is sourced directly from the Internet but becomes a tangible object in the physical world."


Though far from qualified to judge the art that was produced, I think I can comment on her method for creating that art. Morin believes that the art reflects patterns found on then internet generally and facebook specifically. She explains:
"I create systems for moving through the internet and generate images in which the size, shape and repetition of each line is determined by the organization of existing websites and information published on social networking sites like Facebook.com"
When I read her 34 page thesis, specifically the methods used to produce the art, it occurred to me that the art is just as much based on random numbers and creating patterns using those numbers as it is on the structure of the web, or facebook information. That you can obtain (at least pseudo)random numbers from data on the internet is not surprising as (pseudo) random numbers can be found in such mundane things as phonebooks, license plates, and paint splatters. I'd love to hear your opinion about this artwork - if you agree that it truly reflects structures of the web, or answers one of her "research" questions: "How webby is the web?". I've included a picture of part of her art work below. No matter what your opinion - you have to agree this is a curious idea, and an unusual perspective.


One other brief point: I feel like this thesis could possibly serve as a valid counter-example to the opinion held by some that all academic research is somehow more legitimate than what "just anyone" can post on the web. What do you think?

And just in case those two nuggets didn't really deliver as the post advertised, here's something to watch. I found it both mind-boggling, expanding, and honestly a little creepy in some ways, because at the end of the video, what Kelly is describing sounds so incredibly Borg-like!(Google "Seven of Nine", "Borg" or "Star Trek The Next Generation", if this is not familiar to you.) He says: There will be "Only one machine (The One)", "the web will be its OS, All screens look into 'The One'","No bits will live outside the web", "To share is to gain", "Let the One read it.", "The one is us."



Thankfully, some commentors seemed to have been a little uncomfortable with his prediction as well. It is fascinating to think about...the next 5000 days.

0 comments: